What will I learn in this beginner-friendly course?
In this course, I'll show you the steps I use when I sketch on location at markets, starting with good planning and expressive ink lines. Then we'll get out our watercolours to add the brightest and freshest colours to fruit, vegetables, flowers and other subjects. To create depth and sharpen focus, we'll contrast areas of bright produce with darker interior spaces. We'll add typical market signs and lettering to give context to your scenes and structure to the sketchbook page.
And, since every market is positively humming with shoppers and vendors, I'll share my quick techniques for adding figures to the scene.
Along the way, we'll fill several pages of our sketchbook, using the tools and materials I take on location.
I'll give you the same reference images as I'm sketching from, so you'll be able to draw and paint along. I'll also share my favourite colour mixes for subjects such as bushels, bouquets, galvanized buckets and more.
If you love sketching in ink and watercolour and want a step-by-step process for sketching market scenes, this course is for you. You'll learn how to:
- Combine expressive ink lines with colourful watercolour washes
- Simplify a busy scene with large shapes and repeating patterns
- Contrast brights and neutrals for maximum visual punch
- Integrate people into your sketches using simplified lines
- Add lettering and signage, which contribute local character to any urban scene
This course includes:
- FIVE full-length video demonstrations that you can watch at your own pace, as many times as you like
- Downloadable reference images, so paint along with me
- A detailed list of materials
- A comments section where you can ask questions and post your finished sketches
- A challenge image, so you can practice what you've learned